Export (0) Print
Expand All

About security in the global address book [AX 2012]

Updated: August 29, 2012

Applies To: Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3, Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2, Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Feature Pack, Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012

This topic assumes that you are familiar with the topic Global address books and address reference data.

You can set security privileges to party records in the following ways:

  • Secure by legal entity - Security privileges are based on the legal entity that a party is associated with. If you secure party records by legal entity, workers can only access the records that are associated with any legal entity that the worker has access to.

  • Secure by address book - Security privileges are based on teams. With this method, only workers who are assigned to a team that has access to an address book can view the party records in that address book.

  • Secure by both legal entity and address book – Security privileges are based on both legal entities and teams.

You can create address books at any time and if you choose, you can set security parameters for the address books at any time. Setting security for address books is not required in Microsoft Dynamics AX. However, if you do not restrict access by legal entity, or if security privileges are not set for an address book, all workers in your organization can view all party records. For more information about how to set up address book parameters, see Set up global address book parameters. You can use the Security policy options link in the parameters form to select whether the enforcement of security privileges for address books is based on teams, legal entities, or both.

If you select Secure by legal entity in the Global address book parameters form, party record access for a worker is restricted to the legal entity that the worker has access to. When a new party record is created, if the record is not associated with a legal entity, all workers in your organization can view the party record.

The following table shows an example of two workers and the legal entities that they have access to.

User

Legal entity

User 1

LE1

User 2

LE1 and LE2

In this example, User 1 can view only the party records that belong to LE1. User 2 can view the party records that belong to both LE1 and LE2.

If you select Secure by address book in the Global address book parameters form, access to the address books is restricted by team. You must select the teams that have access to each address book. For each address book, you can set security privileges that allow or deny access to specific teams. If you grant a team privileges to an address book, all members of the team can view the records in the address book. If you do not grant a team access to an address book, the team cannot view the address book or its contents.

ImportantImportant

[The information in this note applies only to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 and Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Feature Pack. It does not apply to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R2.]

If you secure address books by team in Microsoft Dynamics AX, you must create a team that includes all Microsoft Dynamics AX users. Do not grant any security privileges to the team. If you do not create this team a worker who is not assigned to a team cannot access party records.

For example, if you associate 95 percent of your party records with address books and the remaining 5 percent are not associated with an address book, Worker A, who is assigned to a team, can view the records associated with the address book that the team has access to. Worker A can also view the remaining 5 percent of records that are not associated with an address book. Worker B, who is not assigned to a team, cannot view any party records because the address books are secured by team.

The following table shows an example of two teams and the address books that they have access to.

Address book

Team

PubSC

Public sector

PTJPN

Pneumatic

In this example, the Public sector team can view only the party records that are in the PubSC address book. The Pneumatic team can view only the party records that are in the PTJPN address book.

NoteNote

If you have also selected Secure by legal entity, a team member can view party records that are assigned to the same legal entity as the team member.

For more information about teams, see Manage teams.


Announcements: To see known issues and recent fixes, use Issue search in Microsoft Dynamics Lifecycle Services (LCS).
Was this page helpful?
(1500 characters remaining)
Thank you for your feedback

Community Additions

ADD
Show:
© 2014 Microsoft