NOTE: A new version of the Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates (ITMU) was recently released, ITMU revision 3. We recommend that you upgrade to the newest version to ensure access to the most current software updates offered by Microsoft. For an explanation of these changes and other information about this new release, please see
What’s New in ITMU Revision 3.
SMS 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and later uses the Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates (ITMU) to determine the update compliance of managed systems. This tool provides integration with updates offered by Windows Update and Microsoft Update. The tool shares the same security update, update rollup, and service pack data as offered by Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). This inventory tool can be used only within an SMS 2003 SP1 site hierarchy with certain hotfixes applied or using SMS 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) where hotfixes are included.
SMS 2003 SP1 and later are updated to incorporate WSUS technology for scanning and deployment. ITMU currently uses Windows Update Agent, which improves security update detection.
ITMU includes the following components:
- Scan tool for Microsoft updates. Enables you to scan your Windows desktops and servers for installed and missing Microsoft updates similarly to how Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) determines compliance for Microsoft security updates.
- Synchronization of the Windows Updates Catalog. Downloads the WSUS scan catalog on a recurring schedule.
- The latest Windows Update Agent. The Windows Update Agent version 22.214.171.12494 is installed on the Windows operating system to support Windows Update detection and deployment.
- New SMS Advanced Client release and updated Distribute Software Update Wizard.
|SMS 2003 Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates|
ITMU is used to create an inventory of applicable and installed security updates, update rollups, and service packs for each client computer. This data is included in the SMS inventory and a comprehensive view of the status is provided through the Web-based reporting capabilities. This tool uses WSUS technology for scanning and installation of updates.
The download package (SMSITMU_ENU.exe) contains setup (SMSITMU.msi), hotfixes, release notes, and user documentation. Step-by-step instructions for installing the required components are available in the preinstallation guide for customers using SMS 2003 SP1.. Step-by-step instructions for setup and deployment are included in the deployment guide. This tool requires that a number of components be installed before operation, as documented in the release notes and preinstallation guide.
- Simple setup process configures the hierarchy for weekly scanning of all computers to identify security update compliance levels.
- Setup process deeply integrates software update management features of Windows and Microsoft Update with the existing SMS 2003 Software update management feature. This means you can now take advantage of a single tool for Windows, Office, SQL Server, Exchange updates, and more.
- Automated task obtains the latest catalog of updates.
- Can be configured to report audit results during existing inventory schedules or in an expedited fashion for more urgent auditing.
- Rich set of reports to help you monitor software update compliance and distribution status.
Top of page