Using SQL Server CE Relay with an ActiveSync System
If you use Microsoft® ActiveSync® 3.1 with a serial, infrared (IR), or USB connection to communicate between a Microsoft Windows® CE-based device and an instance of Microsoft SQL Server™ using Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) through the network connection of a desktop computer, you must install SQL Server CE Relay on the computer running ActiveSync. This is required both during application development and during application deployment after development has been completed if the Windows CE-based devices do not have integrated network connectivity.
SQL Server CE Relay is installed automatically on the development computer when you install the development tools.
Important Microsoft Windows Powered Pocket PC 2002-based devices using ActiveSync 3.5 do not require SQL Server CE Relay, because this configuration supports Ethernet connectivity to and from the device through the desktop computer.
To set up SQL Server CE Relay on the computer running ActiveSync
- On the existing development computer, if you are using Microsoft eMbedded Visual Tools, navigate to the \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server CE 2.0\Redist\Relay folder. If you are using Microsoft Visual Studio® .NET, navigate to the \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\CompactFrameworkSDK\v1.0.5000 folder.
- Copy Sscerelay.exe to any directory on the computer running ActiveSync.
- Configure SQL Server CE Relay. For more information, see Using SQL Server CE Relay.
To remove SQL Server CE Relay from the computer running ActiveSync
SQL Server CE Relay is not installed using the setup process; therefore, you cannot use Control Panel to add or remove it. You must remove Relay using a command prompt.
- At the MS-DOS® command prompt, use the CD command to navigate to the location where you previously copied and configured SQL Server CE Relay on the computer running ActiveSync. For example, type:
cd c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server CE 2.0\Relay
- To unregister SQL Server CE Relay, type:
- To delete Sscerelay.exe, type: