Recommendations for Small Organizations
Topic Last Modified: 2005-05-18
In the context of Exchange 2003, small organizations are defined as those that have fewer than 75 users, because organizations that have fewer than 75 users can obtain Exchange 2003 as part of Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003. Small Business Server 2003 is a complete network solution that you should evaluate if you are certain that your organization will not exceed the 75-user limit. Windows Small Business Server 2003 is available in two editions: Standard and Premium.
The Standard Edition includes the following components:
- Windows Server 2003 This operating system includes the Active Directory® directory service.
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint™ Services Use this component to implement team communications and collaboration.
- Exchange Server 2003 Use this component to implement the messaging and collaboration infrastructure.
- Outlook® 2003 Use this component to manage e-mail, calendars, contacts, and other personal and team information.
- Shared Fax Service Use this component to receive faxes through Windows SharePoint Services, e-mail messages, or printers, and to send faxes through shared telephone lines.
- Routing and Remote Access service Use this component to implement dial-in and VPN connectivity.
In addition to the previous components, the Premium Edition includes the following:
- ISA Server 2000 Use this component to implement firewall technology to secure Internet connections.
- SQL Server 2000 Use this component to implement relational databases that support line-of-business applications.
- Microsoft Office FrontPage® 2003 Use this component to provide tools for Web site development or to create customized solutions for Windows SharePoint Services.
The following table lists recommended and maximum possible hardware configurations for Small Business Server 2003.
Recommended and maximum hardware configurations for Small Business Server 2003
X86-based 550 MHz or higher
2 X86-based 2.4 GHz processors or higher (hyper threading is supported)
6 GB plus space for data storage
2 hard disks in a mirror set (RAID 1) that have 6 GB, plus space for data storage
1 or 2 depending on topology
2 redundant (teaming) network adapters
| || |
Same as for the recommended configuration
|Small Business Server 2003 is the only platform that can run Exchange 2003, SQL Server™ 2000, and Windows SharePoint Services on the same computer. For more information about Small Business Server 2003, see the Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Web site.|