Database Recovery Management and Database Troubleshooter Tools
Applies to: Exchange Server 2007 SP3, Exchange Server 2007 SP2, Exchange Server 2007 SP1, Exchange Server 2007
Topic Last Modified: 2006-09-14
The Database Recovery Management and Database Troubleshooter tools help to reduce recovery time and streamline the recovery process after database problems happen on production servers that are running Microsoft Exchange servers. The tools are part of the Microsoft Exchange Server Performance Troubleshooting Analyzer Tool (ExTRA). The Database Recovery Management and Database Troubleshooter tools are also included in Microsoft Exchange Server 2007. You can find them in the Exchange Management Console in the Toolbox section.
The Database Recovery Management tool contains a set of tasks that you can use to resolve database-related issues, such as the following:
- Verify database and transaction log files Determines the reason why databases cannot be mounted successfully, or verifies the restored database files to make sure that all necessary database, streaming, and transaction log files are available to perform a restore.
- Analyze log drive space Examines dismounted databases, checkpoint file, and log files for each storage group to determine log drive space issues.
- Reset log generation number Moves all transaction log files for a storage group to an temporary location, and restarts the log generation number. This action is required when a storage group runs out of transaction log file names.
- Repair database Repairs corrupted databases. This task can cause permanent data loss, so you should consider restoring from backup before using this approach. For information about restoring from backup, see How to Perform a Basic Restore of Exchange Databases.
- Show database-related event logs Examines database-related event log entries during a specified time range. Currently, this task will display Extensible Storage Engine (ESE), ESE backup and Microsoft Exchange Information Store (MSExchangeIS) events in a list view window.
- Create the recovery storage group Creates a recovery storage group for a storage group that needs to be restored.
- Mount or dismount the databases in the recovery storage group Mounts or dismounts the databases in the recovery storage group.
- Remove the recovery storage group Removes the existing recovery storage group when it is no longer needed.
- Merge or copy mailbox content Merges or copies mailbox content from the databases in the recovery storage group to production mailboxes.
- Set Database can be overwritten by restore option Sets the Database can be overwritten by restore option if you need to restore the database files.
You can use the Database Troubleshooter tool to repair and analyze the following Exchange database issues:
The database will not mount.
Log file are inconsistent.
Log file generation has run out of numbers to name the log files.
Out of drive space.
The Database Troubleshooter examines the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Event Log to detect database-related issues, and then it provides you with resources and possible solutions, such as Microsoft Knowledge Base articles and/or the specific tasks in the Database Recovery Management tool.
Although the Database Recovery Management and Database Troubleshooter tools are included in Exchange 2007, ExTRA is a separate tool that has additional functionality. In addition to helping to determine the cause of database mounting issues, ExTRA can also help you evaluate the cause of performance and mail flow issues on computers running Exchange Server. To download the current version of ExTRA, see the Microsoft Exchange Troubleshooting Assistant Web site.