Managing Transport Logs
Applies to: Exchange Server 2007 SP3, Exchange Server 2007 SP2, Exchange Server 2007 SP1, Exchange Server 2007
Topic Last Modified: 2006-11-29
This topic provides information and links to the relevant topics in this section. The topics in this section introduce the transport logs that are available on a computer that is running Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 and that has the Hub Transport server role or the Edge Transport server role installed. You can use the information in the transport logs to analyze and troubleshoot mail flow.
The transport logs that are available on a Hub Transport server or an Edge Transport server are described in the following list:
- Connectivity log A connectivity log is a record of the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) connection activity of the outbound message delivery queues to the destination Mailbox server, smart host, or domain. Connectivity logging is available on Hub Transport servers and Edge Transport servers. By default, connectivity logging is disabled.
For more information, see Managing Connectivity Logging.
- Protocol log A protocol log is a record of the SMTP activity between messaging servers as part of message delivery. This SMTP activity occurs on Send connectors and Receive connectors that are configured on Hub Transport servers and Edge Transport servers. By default, protocol logging is disabled.
For more information, see Managing Protocol Logging.
- Message tracking log A message tracking log is a detailed log of all message activity as messages are transferred to and from a computer that is running Exchange. Message tracking is available on Hub Transport servers, Edge Transport servers, and Mailbox servers. By default, message tracking is enabled.
For more information, see Managing Message Tracking.
- Agent log An agent log is a record of the actions that are performed on a message by the Exchange 2007 anti-spam and antivirus agents. Typically, these agents are enabled on Edge Transport servers. However, you can also enable them on Hub Transport servers. By default, agent logging is enabled.
For more information, see Managing Agent Logging.
- Routing table log A routing table log periodically records a snapshot of the routing table that is used by Hub Transport servers and Edge Transport servers to deliver messages. By default, routing table logging is enabled.
For more information, see Managing Routing Table Logging.