Exchange ActiveSync Devices and Compatible Features
Applies to: Exchange Server 2007 SP3, Exchange Server 2007 SP2, Exchange Server 2007 SP1, Exchange Server 2007
Topic Last Modified: 2009-12-16
Exchange ActiveSync in Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 enables users to synchronize their mobile devices with their Exchange mailbox. Users can synchronize e-mail messages, calendar information, contact and task data, and manage Out of Office settings, e-mail signatures, and Deleted Items folders. This topic provides information about the different types of devices that synchronize with Exchange 2007.
Users can take advantage of Exchange ActiveSync by selecting mobile devices that are compatible with Exchange ActiveSync. These devices are available from a variety of manufacturers. Most of these devices do not support Direct Push. However, they do support synchronization with Microsoft Exchange. For more information, see the device documentation.
Some of the mobile devices that are compatible with Microsoft Exchange include the following:
- Nokia Nokia offers Mail for Exchange on their Eseries mobile devices. E-mail, calendar, and contact data can be synchronized over a cellular network or a wireless LAN.
- Sony Ericsson Sony Ericsson offers Exchange ActiveSync support on several of their newer smartphone devices. They also support Direct Push through a third-party program.
- Palm Palm offers two smartphones that have the Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system. These devices support Direct Push. Palm also supports Exchange ActiveSync on the Treo 650 and 680 series smartphones. These devices do not support Direct Push.
- Motorola Motorola has its own synchronization framework that enables over-the-air synchronization through Exchange ActiveSync on a variety of its devices.
- Symbian Symbian Limited licenses Exchange ActiveSync for use in the Symbian operating system. This operating system is an open standard operating system for mobile telephones.
Mobile devices that have a version of Windows Mobile software as their operating system offer the greatest functionality when synchronizing with Exchange 2007. Table 1 illustrates some of the features that are available with different versions of Windows Mobile software.
Table 1 Windows Mobile software features
Windows Mobile 6.0
Windows Mobile 6.1
Windows Mobile powered devices with the Messaging & Security Feature Pack
All Windows Mobile powered devices