Microsoft Exchange Load Generator
Topic Last Modified: 2007-12-05
Microsoft® Exchange Load Generator is a benchmarking, pre-deployment validation, and stress testing tool that introduces various types of workloads into a test (non-production) Exchange messaging system.
Exchange Load Generator lets you simulate the delivery of multiple MAPI client messaging requests to an Exchange server. To simulate the delivery of these messaging requests, you run Exchange Load Generator tests on client computers. These tests send multiple messaging requests to the Exchange server, which causes a mail load.
After the tests are complete, you can use the results to help do the following:
Verify the overall deployment plan
Identify bottlenecks on the server
Validate Exchange settings and server configurations
Exchange Load Generator tests the effect of an isolated client MAPI load on a server. It does not account for usage from other protocols and activities such as content indexing.
There are general tasks such as logoff, logon, and send mail that are common to most protocols. Additionally, there are feature tasks that are available only in certain protocols, such as Microsoft Office Outlook® 2003 smart folders.
Exchange Load Generator replaces the Exchange Server Load Simulator 2003 tool and contains these important improvements.
- Improved simulation accuracy There have been significant improvements in simulation accuracy.
- Contacts and external e-mail addresses There is now support for using contacts and external e-mail addresses as recipients.
- Improved scalability There have been significant improvements in the users per client computer scalability.
- Better error recovery When configured to do error recovery, the tool does a better job of error recovery from errors that are caused by server connectivity failures, such as network outage, cluster failover, and so on.
- New, easier to use graphical user interface With the new user interface, you can do all the primary functions by stepping through a cleanly presented series of screens, for tasks such as specifying test settings, creating recipients, and viewing reports.
- Support for multiple types of Outlook clients The initial release of the Exchange Load Generator includes four load generator modules: Outlook 2003 Online, Outlook 2003 Cached, Outlook 2007 Online, and Outlook 2007 Cached.
- Cached mode support enhanced You will be able to upload changes to the server after content has been modified locally.
- No dependency on Outlook You do not have to install Outlook on client computers.
- A "concurrency profile" is supported Now specifies what percentage of the user base is actually active during a given time period.
- Message files It is easier to configure which .msg files should be used in a message mix.
Additionally, the Exchange Load Generator includes support for native execution on a 64-bit platform.