Install Software Updates Task Sequence Step
Updated: May 1, 2012
Applies To: System Center Configuration Manager 2007, System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2, System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3, System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP1, System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP2
Use the Install Software Updates task sequence step to install software updates to a target computer. The target computer is not evaluated for applicable software updates until this task sequence step runs. At that time, the target computer is evaluated for software updates like any other Configuration Manager 2007-managed client. In particular, the step will only install software updates that are targeted to collections of which the computer is currently a member.
The Install Software Updates task sequence step runs only in a standard operating system and will not run in Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE). For information about task sequence variables for this task sequence action, see Install Software Updates Task Sequence Action Variables.
|This task sequence step cannot suppress restarts if the software update indicates that a restart is required. If you install software updates on a computer that is in a production environment and you need to suppress a restart, do not use a task sequence to install the software update. Use the software update feature of Configuration Manager to install the software update.|
You can configure the following settings:
- A short user-defined name that describes the action taken in this step.
- More detailed information about the action taken in this step.
- Mandatory software updates
- Select this option to install all software updates flagged in Configuration Manager 2007 as mandatory for the target computers that will receive the task sequence. Mandatory software updates have administrator-defined deadlines for installation.
- All software updates
- Select this option to install all available software updates targeting the Configuration Manager 2007 collection that will receive the task sequence. All available software updates will be installed on the target computers.
For additional information, see Configuration Manager 2007 Information and Support.
To contact the documentation team, email SMSdocs@microsoft.com.