How to Deploy an Operating System Image Using Media
Applies To: System Center Configuration Manager 2007, System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2, System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3, System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP1, System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP2
You can write task sequences and their related files and dependencies to a DVD or CD set or a USB drive. Using media will allow you to run the operating system deployment task sequence steps on computers that do not have a network connection or have a low bandwidth connection to your Configuration Manager 2007 site. You must specify a boot image that should be associated with the media you create, or the task sequence will fail.
If the media you create is going to be used in a different site than the Configuration Manager 2007 site it was created in, you must create a custom task sequence and add the Run Command Line task sequence step. You can add a command line to the Run command line task sequence step that will assign the new Configuration Manager 2007 client to the desired site.
|Boot media that is created in a parent site can only be used in child sites with no protected distribution points configured.|
For more information about creating a custom task sequence, see How to Create a Custom Task Sequence
Use the following tasks to help you manage Configuration Manager 2007 task sequence operating system deployment media:
In This Section
- How to Create Task Sequence Bootable Media
- Contains the steps necessary to create bootable media that can be used to run a task sequence on a new computer.
- How to Create Stand-alone Media
- Contains the steps necessary to create stand-alone media from which to run your operating system image deployment. The stand-alone media will contain all necessary data to run the specified operating system deployment task sequences without requiring a connection to a Configuration Manager 2007 site.
- How to Capture an Image from a Reference Computer by Using Capture Media
- Contains the steps necessary to capture an operating system image from a reference computer using capture media.
- How to Deploy an Operating System Image to a New Computer Using Boot Media
- Contains the steps necessary to deploy an operating system image to a new bare metal computer or a computer that is new to your Configuration Manager 2007 site.
- How to Deploy an Operating System Image to an Offline Computer
- Contains the steps necessary to deploy an operating system image to a computer that is not connected to the network or to a computer that is connected by a low bandwidth connection.
Other ResourcesTasks for Operating System Deployment
For additional information, see Configuration Manager 2007 Information and Support.
To contact the documentation team, email SMSdocs@microsoft.com.