New Mailbox Features in Exchange 2007 SP1
Applies to: Exchange Server 2007 SP1
Topic Last Modified: 2007-08-30
Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1) introduces the following new features for the Mailbox server role:
Public folder management improvements, including the new Public Folder Management Console
New public folder features
Mailbox management improvements
Ability to import and export mailbox data to .pst files
Changes to messaging records management (MRM)
New performance counters for online database defragmentation
Exchange 2007 SP1 introduces several new features for public folders, including the ability to create and maintain public folders by using the Exchange Management Console:
- Public Folder Management Console The Public Folder Management Console is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) 3.0-based interface that provides administrators with a graphical user interface (GUI) for creating, configuring, and managing public folders. The Public Folder Management Console is located in the Toolbox. For more information about the Public Folder Management Console, see Using the Public Folder Management Console.
- Public folder referrals You can create and maintain public folder referrals in the Exchange Management Console. The Public Folders Referral tab is located in the Public Folder Database Properties dialog box. For more information about how to create a public folder referral, see How to Configure Public Folder Referrals.
- Public Folder Administrator permissions Exchange 2007 SP1 introduces a new administrator role called Exchange Public Folder Administrator. You can use this role to grant public folder administrative permissions to a user or group. For more information, see the following topics:
- Mail-enabled public folders included when reviewing address lists, e-mail address policies, and group memberships When previewing the recipients that are members of an address list, e-mail address policy, dynamic distribution group, and distribution group, you can now see the mail-enabled public folders that are included in the membership criteria. For more information, see the following topics:
Exchange 2007 SP1 introduces the following improvements to mailbox management within the Exchange Management Console:
- Bulk mailbox creation for existing user accounts In the New Mailbox wizard, you can now select multiple user accounts when creating mailboxes for existing user accounts.
- Manage Full Access Permission wizard This new wizard in the Exchange Management Console allows you to grant or remove Full Access permissions for a mailbox.
- Manage Send As Permission wizard This new wizard in the Exchange Management Console allows you to grant or remove Send As permissions for a mailbox.
For more information about mailbox management, see Managing User Mailboxes.
Exchange 2007 SP1 introduces the following improvements to managing mailbox data:
- Export mailbox data directly to a .pst file You can now use the Export-Mailbox Exchange Management Shell cmdlet to export mailbox data directly to a .pst file.
- Import mailbox data from a .pst file You can use the new Import-Mailbox Exchange Management Shell cmdlet to import mailbox data from a .pst file to a mailbox.
For more information about importing and exporting mailbox data, see the following topics:
In Exchange 2007 SP1, you can apply MRM to managed default folders on an Exchange server that has an Exchange Standard client access license (CAL). (Managed default folders are folders that, by default, appear in a user's Microsoft Office Outlook mailbox, such as the Inbox.) This maintains parity with the Mailbox Manager functionality of Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003. You can create as many managed default folders as you want in Exchange 2007 SP1.
Managed custom folders are a premium feature of MRM, and each mailbox that has managed custom folders requires an Exchange Server Enterprise CAL.
For more information, see Understanding Messaging Records Management.
Exchange 2007 SP1 also introduces a new parameter for the Set-Mailbox cmdlet called RemoveManagedFolderAndPolicy. This parameter performs the following tasks:
Removes any MRM policies from a mailbox.
Removes MRM properties from any managed folders that were created as part of the MRM policy that was applied to the mailbox.
Removes any empty managed folders and converts any managed folders that contain items to standard folders.
Exchange 2007 SP1 introduces the following improvements to help you monitor online defragmentation:
Extended information for Event 703 allows you to more easily monitor online defragmentation pass completions.
Two extended Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) performance counters for monitoring the effectiveness and efficiency of online defragmentation have been added for use with Performance Monitor (called Reliability and Performance Monitor in Windows Server 2008).
For detailed information about monitoring online defragmentation, see How to Monitor Online Defragmentation.