Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit
Published: July 13, 2009 | Updated: December 17, 2012
Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit 8.0 is now available for download!
Download This Solution Accelerator
About This Solution Accelerator
The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP) is an agentless, automated, multi-product planning and assessment tool for quicker and easier desktop, server and cloud migrations. MAP provides detailed readiness assessment reports and executive proposals with extensive hardware and software information, and actionable recommendations to help organizations accelerate their IT infrastructure planning process, and gather more detail on assets that reside within their current environment. MAP also provides server utilization data for Hyper-V server virtualization planning; identifying server placements, and performing virtualization candidate assessments, including ROI analysis for server consolidation with Hyper-V.
The latest version of the MAP Toolkit adds new scenarios to help you plan your IT future while supporting your current business needs. Included scenarios help you to:
- Plan your deployment of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 with hardware and infrastructure readiness assessments
- Assess your environment for Office 2013
- Plan your migration to Windows Azure Virtual Machines
- Track Lync Enterprise/Plus usage
- Size your desktop virtualization needs for both Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) and session-based virtualization using Remote Desktop Services
- Ready your information platform for the cloud with SQL Server 2012
- Virtualize your existing Linux servers onto Hyper-V
- Identify opportunities to lower your virtualization costs with Hyper-V using the VMware migration assessment
MAP is just one of the tools provided by the Microsoft Solution Accelerators team. The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, and Security Compliance Manager provide tested guidance and automated tools to help organizations plan, securely deploy, and manage new Microsoft technologies—easier, faster, and at less cost. All are freely available, and fully-supported by Microsoft. Learn more.
Included in the Download
The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit includes the following components:
- Microsoft_Assessment_and_Planning_Toolkit_Setup.exe. The installation package includes the tool, release notes, Getting Started Guide, and toolkit help (.chm file). Download now.
- Readme_en.htm. Provides information you should read before installing the MAP Toolkit, including installation prerequisites and known issues. Available as a separate download. Download now.
- Getting_Started_Guide.en.docx. Provides information about installing the tool, describes supported assessment scenarios, and shows how to use the results. Available as a separate download. Download now.
- MAP_Sample_Documents.zip. Contains sample reports and proposals generated by the MAP Toolkit. Available as a separate download. Download now.
MAP performs four key functions: discovery and inventory of computers and applications, hardware and software migration readiness assessments, software usage tracking, and capacity planning for virtualization, public and private cloud migration.
MAP provides secure, agentless, and network-wide inventory that scales from small business to large enterprises. It collects and organizes system resources and device information from a single networked computer. Assessment tools often require users to first deploy software agents on all computers to be inventoried, but this tool does not. MAP uses technologies already available in your IT environment to perform inventory and assessments. These technologies include Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), the Remote Registry Service, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), SSH, and the Computer Browser service.
You can use MAP to inventory the following technologies:
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP Professional
- Office 2010 and previous versions
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2003 R2
- Windows 2000 Professional or Windows 2000 Server
- Windows Internet Explorer 9 and previous versions
- VMware vSphere
- VMware vCenter
- VMware ESX
- VMware ESXi
- VMware Server
- Selected Linux distributions
- LAMP application stack discovery
- SQL Server
- System Center Configuration Manager
- Forefront Endpoint Protection
Note: To see a list of platforms on which MAP can be installed, refer to the “Installation Prerequisites” section of the MAP readme file.
Comprehensive Data Analysis
MAP performs a detailed analysis of hardware for migration to Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2008 R2, Microsoft Office 2010, and Office 365. The hardware assessment looks at the installed hardware and determines if migration is recommended. If it is not recommended, then reports provide information about why it is not.
The device assessment looks at the devices installed on a computer and reports availability of drivers for those devices. Device assessment can be used for migration and consolidation scenarios for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
MAP identifies heterogeneous IT environments consisting of Windows Server, VMware Server, VMware vSphere, VMware VCenter and Linux operating systems, including those running in a virtual environment, and provides discovery of LAMP application stacks. MAP’s VMware discovery feature identifies already-virtualized servers running under VMware that can be managed with the Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager platform, or be migrated to the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor.
For customers interested in server consolidation and virtualization through technologies such as Hyper-V, MAP helps to gather performance metrics and generate server consolidation recommendations that identify the candidates for server virtualization and suggests how the physical servers might be placed in a virtualized environment.
In-Depth Readiness Reporting
MAP generates reports containing both summary and detailed assessment results for each migration scenario. The results are provided in Microsoft Office Excel workbooks and Microsoft Office Word documents. Reports are generated for the following scenarios:
- Evaluate existing hardware against the recommended system requirements for Windows 8. Recommendations detailing which machines meet the requirements and which machines may require hardware upgrades
- Assess the readiness of your IT infrastructure for a Windows Server 2012 deployment. Includes a comprehensive inventory of servers, operating systems, workloads, devices, and server roles to help in planning efforts
- Gather performance data for Linux-based physical and virtual machines and use that information to perform virtualization and private cloud planning analysis for both Windows and Linux-based machines within the Hyper-V and Private Cloud Fast Track scenarios.
- Identification of currently installed Windows client operating systems, their hardware, and recommendations for migration to Windows 7.
- Inventory and reporting of deployed web browsers, Microsoft ActiveX controls, and add-ons for migration to Windows 7 compatible versions of Internet Explorer.
- Identification of currently installed Microsoft Office software and recommendations for migration to Microsoft Office 2010 and Office 365.
- Identification of currently installed Windows Server operating systems, underlying hardware and devices, as well as recommendations for migration to Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Identification of currently installed Linux operating systems and underlying hardware for virtualization on Hyper-V or management by Microsoft System Center Operations Manager R2.
- Identification of virtual machines running on both Hyper-V and VMware, their hosts, and details about hosts and guests.
- Identification and analysis of web applications, IIS servers, and SQL Server databases for migration to the Windows Azure Platform.
- Detailed assessment and reporting of server utilization, as well as recommendations for server consolidation and virtual machine placement using Hyper-V.
- Discovery of SQL Server 2012 databases, instances, and selected characteristics.
- Heterogeneous database discovery of MySQL, Oracle and Sybase instances.
- Identification of SQL Server host machines and SQL Server components.
Software Usage Tracker Feature Overview
The enhanced Software Usage Tracking feature in MAP 8.0 simplifies your software license management and compliance process in terms of product coverage and the ability to track devices. MAP’s usage tracking scenario measures server and client usage for the each of the core CAL products
Active Users and Devices is a new inventory scenario that allows organizations to report on user which are active on the network in addition to Windows devices. This information is useful in Enterprise Agreement scenarios as well as for maintaining Active Directory information for the environment. This strengthened tracking feature provides consistent software usage reports for the following key Microsoft Server products:
- Windows Server
- SharePoint Server
- Exchange Server
- SQL Server
- System Center Configuration Manager
- Forefront Endpoint Protection
- New! Lync Enterprise
With the MAP software usage tracker, you can run updated reports whenever you need to accurately assess current software usage and client access history in your environment. This reduces time and administrative costs for managing your server and CALs and helps you to streamline the management of your software assets.
Microsoft Database Consolidation Appliance Feature Overview
The Database Consolidation Appliance allows customers to consolidate thousands of SQL Server instances into a single appliance, simplifying the management of all these databases, while also providing better agility through a fully elastic database infrastructure.
- Client Access License Tracking
- Infrastructure Planning and Design Guides
- Windows Optimized Desktop Scenarios Solution Accelerator
- Windows 7 Solution Accelerators
- Windows Server Solution Accelerators
- Virtualization Solution Accelerators
Community and Feedback
To interact with other members of the Microsoft Assessment and Planning community, learn more about the tool, and get help with questions, visit the Microsoft Assessment and Planning forum on TechNet at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=110990.
To send feedback or suggestions for improving the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP), send e-mail to email@example.com.
About Solution Accelerators
Solution Accelerators are authoritative resources that help IT pros plan, deliver, operate, and manage IT systems that address real-world scenarios. Solution Accelerators provide free, prescriptive guidance and automation to accelerate cross-product integration, core infrastructure development, and other enhancements.
Sign up to receive the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as:
- Communication and collaboration
- Security, data protection, and recovery
- Operations and management