On This Page
Getting Started with Application Compatibility
There are several things that enterprises can be doing now to see how their applications may be affected in Windows Vista.
- Review the Getting Started With Window Vista Application Compatibility card.
- Download and run the Windows Vista Hardware Assessment Tool.
- Download the Application Compatibility Toolkit.
- Review the Getting Started with Application Compatibility in a Windows Deployment
- Review the Application Compatibility Toolkit Deployment guide and Step by Step Guides.
- Deploy the ACT 5.0 evaluators in your current environment.
- Inventory, analyze, rationalize, and prioritize your application portfolio.
- Keep your software inventory up to date with current versions of vendor products.
- Set up an application testing environment for Windows Vista.
- Participate in the Online Compatibility Exchange.
- Participate in the Application Compatibility newsgroups.
- Understand the technical compatibility issues with Windows Vista and determine the degree to which they affect your applications. Review the Application Compatibility Cookbook.
- Use the 30-minute app compatibility test in the cookbook to do an initial test of the most critical business applications.
- Download and evaluate the Business Desktop Deployment Solution Accelerator.
Business Desktop Deployment
Microsoft has created a rich toolset to help you through all steps of your desktop deployment. The Microsoft Solution Accelerator for Business Desktop Deployment (BDD 2007) delivers end-to-end guidance for efficient planning, building, testing, and deployment of Windows Vista and Microsoft Office, including planning and testing for application compatibility.
BDD 2007 is the recommended best practice methodology for consistent, repeatable, and cost-effective deployments. Microsoft has been working with leading deployment partners to enhance and develop this industry guidance in addition to providing Microsoft’s implementations of BDD methodology.
Microsoft has two BDD methodology-based deployment solutions supporting x86 and x64 versions of Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, and Windows Vista as well as the 2007 Microsoft Office system deployment.
A Zero Touch BDD solution for organizations with a solid management infrastructure. This uses Systems Management Server 2003 and Microsoft Operations Manager 2005, as well as the tools and technologies available in Windows Vista and the 2007 Office system and is the Microsoft-recommended solution to obtain the full benefits of BDD methodology.
- A Lite Touch solution for organizations that might not have such an infrastructure. This is a free download available along with source code and uses an MMC plug-in infrastructure for a quick and simple way to plan, build, and deploy desktops within your organization. This free BDD download gives you all the guidance, documentation, and tools (Windows Automated Installation Kit, User State Migration Tool, Application Compatibility Toolkit, and more) you will need for a successful desktop deployment.
Find out more at www.microsoft.com/desktopdeployment, the one-stop-shop for all things deployment related.