Network environmental requirements
Updated: February 23, 2009
If you are installing Windows EBS in an existing environment, the environment must meet several software and operating system requirements for you to complete the installation successfully and to ensure compatibility with Windows EBS. The Windows EBS Preparation Wizard checks for these requirements, alerts you if they are missing, and assists you in making the necessary updates or changes. The Installation Wizard confirms that critical requirements are met before installing the Windows EBS software.
The primary requirements include the following:
- At least one domain controller in the domain must be running Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2, or Windows Server 2008.
- Other existing domain controllers must be running Windows 2000 Server with Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2, or Windows Server 2008.
Important Windows EBS is not compatible with domain controllers that are running the Windows NT® operating system. These must be removed from the network before installing Windows EBS.
- The functional level for your existing domain must be Windows 2000 Server native mode or Windows Server 2003.
- The Active Directory schema level for your existing domain must be set to Windows Server 2008. Your existing schema is updated to this level during installation.
- The schema master must be running Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2, or Windows Server 2008.
- At least one global catalog must be running on Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2, or Windows Server 2008.
The installation tools perform additional checks to assure that key components in your environment are functioning properly before installing Windows EBS.
If you are installing Windows EBS in an existing Windows Small Business Server environment, follow the steps in "Migrating from Windows Small Business Server 2003 to Windows Essential Business Server" at the Microsoft Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=123374).