Understanding the Operations console
Updated: May 22, 2009
Applies To: Operations Manager 2007 R2, Operations Manager 2007 SP1
The Operations console is the primary tool used for managing your Operations Manager 2007 deployment. In the Operations console, you view and interact with alerts and monitoring data, manage and edit unsealed management packs, generate and view reports, administer management group settings, and build a workspace that is customized to your needs.
|If you are accessing the Operations console by using Terminal Services (or another remote access program) to connect to a computer with the Operations console installed, the performance of the Operations console might suffer, depending on network latency, network bandwidth and the amount of data fetched by the console.|
The Operations console is made up of the following parts:
- Provides access to the menus, search, find, and scope features, and actions. Note that the tools you see might differ depending on the level of access you have.
- Navigation pane
- Displays the aspects of your Operations Manager implementation, including all currently discovered objects. You can use the navigation tree to drill into your environment. When you select an item in the tree, details of that item are displayed in the Results pane.
- Navigation buttons
Enable you to move through the monitoring and administration views in the Operations console. The buttons that you have access to depends on the security role you are signed in as. A member of the Administrator group can access all the buttons; an Operator can access all the buttons except Administration.
There are five areas:
- Actions pane
- Displays links to any actions you can take on a selected object (such as viewing the properties of the object), additional resources you can use to get more information (links to online information), and links to the product help. The links displayed in the Actions pane are context-specific and reflect your current scope, view, and selected object.
- Results pane
- Displays the results from navigation using the navigation tree or from a search or find action. The Results pane also shows any textual feedback from actions.
- Details pane
- Displays more detailed information about the selected item in the Results pane.