Windows Azure Pack terminology
Updated: October 17, 2013
Applies To: Windows Azure Pack for Windows Server
The following terms are used in Windows Azure Pack for Windows Server.
- In Windows Azure Pack for Windows Server, an optional service that is offered by a hosting service provider that can be added to a service plan.
- Billing adapter
- A billing adapter is software written by a cloud service provider to capture tenant usage data and recent event notification from a Windows Azure Pack installation. The data captured is then used to calculate tenant billing information or used for analytics processing.
- A collection of standard and reusable virtual machine roles that a tenant of a hosting service provider can receive as part of a service plan to provision their virtual machines. Gallery items can include base operating system images as well as images with preinstalled applications.
- Hosting service provider
- A service provider that offers scalable infrastructure services to multiple customers.
- Management portal for administrators
- The Windows Azure Pack portal interface used by hosting service providers to configure and manage resource clouds; user accounts; and tenant offers, quotas and pricing.
- Management portal for tenants
- A customizable self-service portal that tenants use to subscribe to and manage services such as Web Sites, Virtual Machines, and Service Bus.
- Defines a package of one or more services, and possibly resource usage quotas, that can be offered by a hosting service provider.
- A collection of tasks and process steps that are performed in a given order to automate a business process.
- An agreement by the customer of a hosting service provider to pay for selected plan services.
- A tenant is a subscriber, typically an organization, that uses the cloud services created and provisioned by a hosting service provider.