Published: October 21, 2009 | Updated: February 17, 2012
Download the DirectAccess Guide
About This Guide
The Infrastructure Planning and Design (IPD) Guide for DirectAccess provides actionable guidance for designing a DirectAccess infrastructure. The guide’s easy-to-follow, four-step process gives a straightforward explanation of the infrastructure required for clients to be connected from the Internet to resources on the corporate network, whether or not the organization has begun deploying IPv6.
Figure 1. Decision flow chart
In More Detail
The Infrastructure Planning and Design Guide for DirectAccess includes the following four-step process:
- Step 1: Define the Scope of the DirectAccess Project. The focus of this step is to define the scope of the project.
- Step 2: Determine Network Requirements. This step involves determining which services are needed to support DirectAccess clients’ connectivity to intranet resources.
- Step 3: Design DirectAccess Server Infrastructure. This step focuses on determining the DirectAccess server configuration. Also, this step involves determining fault tolerance, as well as server placement.
- Step 4: Design Web Servers and Certificate Infrastructure. This step involves determining how many servers are required, and designing the servers by referencing the Infrastructure Planning and Design guide for Microsoft IIS. Also, this step focuses on reviewing the requirements for certificates for the network location servers and DirectAccess clients and implications to the PKI infrastructure.
- DirectAccess on TechNet
- DirectAccess on Microsoft.com
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Solution Accelerators on TechNet
Join the IPD Beta Program
Subscribe to this beta program and we will notify you when new beta guides become available for your review and feedback. They are open beta downloads. If you are not yet a member of the IPD beta program and want to join, follow these steps:
- Go here to join the IPD beta program:
If the link does not work for you, copy and paste it into your Web browser address bar.
- Sign in using a valid Windows Live ID.
- Enter your registration information.
- Continue to the IPD beta program page, scroll down to Infrastructure Planning and Design, and click the link to join the IPD beta program.
Already a member of the IPD beta program? Go here to get the latest IPD beta downloads: https://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=6556&SiteID=14
Please send questions or comments about this guide to IPDfdbk@microsoft.com.
About Solution Accelerators
Solution Accelerators are authoritative resources that help IT pros plan, deliver, operate, and manage IT systems that address real-world scenarios. Solution Accelerators provide free, prescriptive guidance and automation to accelerate cross-product integration, core infrastructure development, and other enhancements.
Sign up to receive the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as:
- Communication and collaboration
- Security, data protection, and recovery
- Operations and management
Download the DirectAccess Guide