Management Pack Basics
Updated: May 24, 2010
Applies To: System Center Operations Manager 2007
All of the elements required for monitoring an application with Operations Manager 2007 including the service model, health model, views, and reports are stored in management packs. A management pack is an .xml file that conforms to a specific schema. It is installed into an Operations Manager 2007 management group and distributed to appropriate agents that use its contents to perform monitoring activities for a particular application.
The topics in this section provide an overview of general concepts required for building a management pack. These concepts are used in the remaining sections of this guide.
In This Section
- Authoring Tools
- Describes the different tools available for authoring a management pack and the characteristics of each tool.
- Management Pack Formats
- Describes the format of a management pack file and the difference between unsealed and sealed management packs.
- Version Control
- Describes the requirements for sealed management packs to be upgraded between versions.
- Management Pack References
- Describes how management packs rely on elements in other management packs and how management pack references are defined.
- Describes the naming requirements of management pack elements and how different languages are used.
- Provides a basic overview of the different management pack variables and how they are used.