Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter
Published: April 13, 2012 | Updated: October 2, 2012
Download This Solution Accelerator
The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC) is now available!
Now Available: Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Plug-in for VMware vSphere Client
The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Plug-in for VMware vSphere Client is now available!
What Is the MVMC Plug-in?
The MVMC Plug-in for VMware vSphere Client:
- Extends the vSphere Client context menu to make it easier to convert the VMware-based virtual machine to a Hyper-V-based virtual machine.
- Is built upon the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter.
Note This plug-in extends vSphere Client to facilitate conversions from a virtual machine context menu and without changing configurations on the VMware host.
About This Solution Accelerator
The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter provides a Microsoft-supported, freely available, stand-alone solution for converting VMware-based virtual machines and virtual disks to Hyper-V-based virtual machines and virtual hard disks (VHDs)—including conversion from VMware to Hyper-V on Windows Server 2012. Because MVMC has a fully scriptable command-line interface (CLI), it integrates especially well with data center automation workflows such as those authored and run within Microsoft System Center 2012 - Orchestrator. It can also be invoked through Windows PowerShell.
MVMC simplifies low-cost, point-and-click migration of Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003 R2 with SP2, and Windows Server 2003 with SP2 guest operating systems from VMware to Hyper-V.
In More Detail
The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter:
- Provides a quick, low-risk option for VMware customers to evaluate Hyper-V.
- Converts VMware virtual machines to Hyper-V virtual machines: The VM Conversion will convert VMware-hosted virtual machines and ensure that the entire configuration, such as memory, virtual processor, and other machine configurations, is also migrated from the initial source. The tool also adds virtual NICs to the deployed virtual machine on Hyper-V.
- Supports a clean migration to Hyper-V with uninstallation of VMware tools on the source virtual machine.
- Provides a wizard-driven GUI, making it simple to perform virtual machine conversion.
- Installs integration services for Windows 2003 guests that are converted to Hyper-V virtual machines.
- Supports conversion of virtual machines from VMware vSphere 4.1 and 5.0 hosts, including those hosted on a vSphere cluster, to Hyper-V. The tool also supports migration of virtual machines to a Hyper-V host that is part of a failover cluster.
Note MVMC also supports conversion of virtual machines from VMware vSphere 4.0 if the host is managed by vCenter 4.1 or vCenter 5.0. You have to connect to vCenter 4.1 or 5.0 through MVMC to convert virtual machines on vSphere 4.0.
- Supports offline conversions of VMware-based virtual hard disks (VMDK) to a Hyper-V-based virtual hard disk file format (.vhd file).
- Includes a fully scriptable command-line interface (CLI) for performing machine conversion and offline disk conversion, integrating with data center automation workflows such as those authored and executed within System Center 2012 - Orchestrator. The command line can also be invoked through Windows PowerShell.
This stand-alone tool has a low footprint, is easy to install, and is supported by Microsoft.
- Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit
- Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012
- Compliance Solution Accelerators
- Microsoft Solution Accelerators
Community and Feedback
To connect with others in the community, learn more about the tool, and get help with questions, visit the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Forum.
Please send questions or comments about this Solution Accelerator to MVMCdisc@microsoft.com.
About Solution Accelerators
Solution Accelerators are authoritative resources that help IT pros plan, deliver, operate, and manage IT systems that address real-world scenarios. Solution Accelerators provide free, prescriptive guidance and automation to accelerate cross-product integration, core infrastructure development, and other enhancements.
Sign up to receive the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as:
- Communication and collaboration
- Security, data protection, and recovery
- Operations and management
Download This Solution Accelerator