Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-025
Index Server Search Function Contains Unchecked Buffer
Originally posted: May 10, 2001
Updated: June 23, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
System administrators using Microsoft® Index Server 2.0 in Windows NT® 4.0 or Indexing Service in Windows® 2000
Impact of vulnerability:
Run code of attacker's choice.
Customers using Index Server 2.0 should apply the patch immediately; customers using Indexing Service should consider applying the patch
- Microsoft Index Server 2.0
- Indexing Service in Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft thanks the following people for working with us to protect customers:
- David Litchfield of @Stake (http://www.atstake.com) for reporting the Index Server 2.0 buffer overrun to us.
- Mike Mullins (http://www.gap.com) for reporting the new variant of the "Malformed Hit-Highlighting" vulnerability to us.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base articles Q296185 and Q294472 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 May 10, 2001: Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 June 23, 2003: Updated Windows Update download links.