Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-039
Buffer Overruns in SQL Server 2000 Resolution Service Could Enable Code Execution (Q323875)
Originally posted: July 24, 2002
Updated: January 31, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
System administrators using Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000 and Microsoft Desktop Engine 2000.
Impact of vulnerability:
Three vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could enable an attacker to gain control over an affected server.
Maximum Severity Rating:
System administrators should install the patch immediately.
Note: The patch released with this bulletin is effective in protecting SQL Server 2000 and MSDE 2000 against the "SQL Slammer" worm virus. However, this patch has been superseded by the patch released with MS02-061 which contains fixes for additional security vulnerabilities in these products. Microsoft recommends that SQL 2000 and MSDE 2000 customers apply the patch from MS02-061.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000
- Microsoft Desktop Engine (MSDE) 2000
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q323875 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (July 24, 2002): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (July 25, 2002): Updated to note that MSDE 2000 is affected by the vulnerabilities.
- V1.2 (January 31, 2003): Updated to advise of supercedence by MS02-061 and clarify installation order when Hotfix 317748 is applied in conjunction with this security patch.