Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-007
ASN.1 Vulnerability Could Allow Code Execution (828028)
Issued: February 10, 2004
Updated: June 9, 2004
Version Number: 1.1
Who should read this document:
Customers who are using Microsoft® Windows®
Impact of vulnerability:
Remote Code Execution
Maximum Severity Rating:
Systems administrators should apply the update immediately.
Security Update Replacement:
Windows NT 4.0 (Workstation, Server, and Terminal Server Edition) does not install the affected file by default. This file is installed as part of the MS03-041 Windows NT 4.0 security update and other possible non-security-related hotfixes. If the Windows NT 4.0 security update for MS03-041 is not installed, this may not be a required update. To verify if the affected file is installed, search for the file named Msasn1.dll. If this file is present, this security update is required. Windows Update, Software Update Services, and the Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer will also correctly detect if this update is required.
Tested Software and Security Update Download Locations:
- Microsoft Windows NT® Workstation 4.0 Service Pack 6a - Download the update.
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Service Pack 6a - Download the update.
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Terminal Server Edition Service Pack 6 - Download the update.
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 - Download the update.
- Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 - Download the update.
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition, Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Service Pack 1 - Download the update.
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003, Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 Service Pack 1 - Download the update.
- Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003 - Download the update.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 64-Bit Edition - Download the update.
Tested Microsoft Windows Components:
- Microsoft ASN.1 Library
The software listed above has been tested to determine if the versions are affected. Other versions either no longer include security update support or may not be affected. Please review the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Web site to determine the support lifecycle for your product and version.
Microsoft thanks the following for working with us to help protect customers:
Obtaining other security updates:
Updates for other security issues are available from the following locations:
- Security updates are available from the Microsoft Download Center, and can be most easily found by doing a keyword search for "security_patch".
- Updates for consumer platforms are available from the WindowsUpdate Web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY for customers in the U.S. and Canada. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
- International customers can get support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support associated with security updates. Information on how to contact Microsoft support is available at the International Support Web Site.
- The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
- Microsoft Software Update Services
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA)
- Windows Update
- Windows Update Catalog: Please view Knowledge Base Article 323166 for more information on the Windows Update Catalog.
- Office Update
Software Update Services (SUS):
Microsoft Software Update Services (SUS) enables administrators to quickly and reliably deploy the latest critical updates and security updates to Windows® 2000 and Windows Server™ 2003-based servers, as well as to desktop computers running Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional.
For information about how to deploy this security update with Software Update Services, visit the Software Update Services Web site.
Systems Management Server (SMS):
Systems Management Server can provide assistance deploying this security update. For information about Systems Management Server visit the SMS Web Site. For detailed information about the many enhancements to the security update deployment process that SMS 2003 provides, please visit the SMS 2003 Security Patch Management Web site. SMS also provides several additional tools to assist administrators in the deployment of security updates such as the SMS 2.0 Software Update Services Feature Pack and the SMS 2.0 Administration Feature Pack. The SMS 2.0 Software Update Services Feature Pack utilizes the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and the Microsoft Office Detection Tool to provide broad support for security bulletin remediation. Some software updates may require administrative rights following a restart of the computer.
Note: The inventory capabilities of the SMS 2.0 Software Update Services Feature Pack may be used for targeting updates to specific computers, and the SMS 2.0 Administration Feature Pack's Elevated Rights Deployment Tool can be used for installation. This provides optimal deployment for updates that require explicit targeting using Systems Management Server and administrative rights after the computer has been restarted.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (February 10, 2004): Bulletin published.
- V1.1 (June 9, 2004): Bulletin updated to reflect updated information in the Windows NT 4.0 Security Update Information, Removal Instructions section.