Microsoft Security Advisory (945713)
Vulnerability in Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD) Could Allow Information Disclosure
Published: | Updated:
Microsoft has completed the investigation into a public report of this vulnerability. We have issued MS09-008 to address the WPAD issue and have released configuration guidance and updates for DNS devolution in Microsoft Security Advisory 971888. For more information about this issue, including download links for an available security update, please review MS09-008 and Microsoft Security Advisory 971888. The vulnerabilities addressed are DNS Server Vulnerability in WPAD Registration Vulnerability CVE-2009-0093 and WPAD WINS Server Registration Vulnerability CVE-2009-0094.
- You can provide feedback by completing the form by visiting Microsoft Help and Support: Contact Us.
- Customers in the United States and Canada can receive technical support from Security Support or 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with security updates. For more information about available support options, see Microsoft Help and Support.
- International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. For more information about how to contact Microsoft for international support issues, visit International Support.
- Microsoft TechNet Security provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in this advisory is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (December 3, 2007): Advisory published.
- V1.1 (January 9, 2008): Advisory updated: The registry key for the Configure a Domain Suffix Search List workaround has been corrected to the proper key of SearchList.
- V2.0 (June 9, 2009): Advisory updated to reflect publication of security bulletin MS09-008 and Microsoft Security Advisory 971888.