Microsoft Security Bulletin MS00-075
Patch Available for 'Microsoft VM ActiveX Component' Vulnerability
Originally posted: October 12, 2000
Microsoft has released a patch that eliminates a security vulnerability in Microsoft® virtual machine (Microsoft VM). If a malicious web site operator were able to coax a user into visiting his site, the vulnerability could allow him to take any desired action on a visiting user's machine.
Versions of the Microsoft VM are identified by build numbers, which can be determined using the JVIEW tool, as discussed in the FAQ. The following builds of the Microsoft VM are affected:
- All builds in the 3000 series numbered 3317 or earlier.
Vulnerability Identifier: CVE-2000-1061
Support: This is a fully supported patch. Information on contacting Microsoft Product Support Services is available at http://support.microsoft.com/contactussupport/?ws=support.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (October 12, 2000): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (October 31, 2000): Bulletin updated to provide patch info for 2000-series builds.
- V1.2 (January 26, 2001): Bulletin Updated to reflect update to VM patch version.
- V1.3 (July 20, 2002): Update made to download location.
- V1.4 (February 28, 2003): Update made to download location.
- V2.0 (July 1, 2009): Removed download information because Microsoft Java Virtual Machine is no longer available for distribution from Microsoft. For more information, see Patch availability.