Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-001
Web Client Will Perform NTLM Authentication Regardless of Security Settings
Originally posted: January 11, 2001
Updated: July 10, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers running Office 2000, Windows Me, and Windows 2000.
Impact of vulnerability:
Logon credentials could be retrieved by a malicious server.
Customers with an affected version of the products listed should consider installing this patch.
- Microsoft Office 2000
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows Me
Microsoft thanks the following people for working with us to protect customers:
- David Litchfield of @stake.
- Matt Scarborough (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q282132 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (January 11, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (January 15, 2001): Correction to Acknowledgement section.
- V1.2 (February 28, 2003): Corrected links to Office 2000 SR1a links in Additional Information section.
- V1.3 (July 10, 2003): Corrected links to Windows Update in Additional Information.