Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-002
PowerPoint File Parser Contains Unchecked Buffer
Originally posted: January 21, 2001
Updated: July 10, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers using Microsoft® PowerPoint® 97 or PowerPoint 2000.
Impact of vulnerability:
Run code of attacker's choice.
All customers using PowerPoint 97 or PowerPoint 2000 should apply the patch immediately.
- Microsoft PowerPoint 97
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000
- Microsoft Knowledge Base articles Q285978 and Q299368 discuss this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (January 22, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V2.0 (January 25, 2001): Bulletin revised to reflect availability of an updated patch and changes in the conditions required to exploit the vulnerability.
- V2.1 (June 18, 2001): Bulletin revised to include the download location for the PowerPoint 97 patch.
- V2.2 (February 28, 2003): Updated links for Office 2000 SR1a and SR2 in More Information section.
- V2.3 (July 10, 2003): Corrected links to Windows Update in Additional Information.