Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-004
Malformed .HTR Request Allows Reading of File Fragments
Originally posted: January 29, 2001
Updated: November 04, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
System administrators who host IIS web servers and have not previously disabled .HTR mapping.
Impact of vulnerability:
Disable .HTR mapping as a first resort; apply the patch only if there is a business-critical reason for retaining .HTR functionality.
- Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
- Microsoft Internet Information Service 5.0
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q285985 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (January 29, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (November 04, 2003): Updated links to Windows Update in Additional Information.