Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-007
Network DDE Agent Requests Can Enable Code to Run in System Context
Originally posted: February 05, 2001
Updated: July 10, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
System administrators using Microsoft® Windows® 2000 servers or workstations.
Impact of vulnerability:
System administrators should install the patch on all Windows 2000 on which unprivileged users are allowed to load and run programs, and consider applying it to all Windows 2000 web servers as a precautionary measure.
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q285851 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (February 05, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V2.0 (February 09, 2001): Bulletin revised to provide updated information regarding terminal servers. Contrary to the original version of the bulletin, terminal servers are affected by the vulnerability.
- V2.1 (August 15, 2001): Bulletin revised to note that a new version of the patch was released to address a post-SP2 packaging issue, as discussed in Q299549. (Both the old and new versions of the patch protect the machine from the vulnerability in this bulletin.) Registry key data and patch applicability sections have been updated appropriately.
- V2.2 (July 10, 2003): Corrected links to Windows Update in Additional Information.