Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-008
Malformed NTLMSSP Request Can Enable Code to Run with System Privileges
Originally posted: February 07, 2001
Updated: July 10, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
System administrators using Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0.
Impact of vulnerability:
Local privilege elevation.
Administrators should consider applying the patch to machines that allow unprivileged users to log onto them interactively.
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server, Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server, Terminal Server Edition
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q280119 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (February 07, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (July 10, 2003): Corrected links to Windows Update in Additional Information.