Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-009
Malformed PPTP Packet Stream can Cause Kernel Exhaustion
Originally posted: February 13, 2001
Updated: June 23, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
System administrators who provide PPTP services using Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0.
Impact of vulnerability:
Denial of service
Apply the patch to all PPTP servers.
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server, Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server, Terminal Server Edition
Note: The above products are only affected if PPTP services are installed and running on the machine.
Microsoft thanks Kirk Corey of Diversified Software Industries, Inc. for reporting this issue to us and working with us to protect customers.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q283001 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (February 13, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (February 14, 2001): Patch removed due to trouble reports.
- V1.2 (February 15, 2001): Patch restored after verifying correct functionality.
- V1.3 (February 20, 2001): Bulletin modified to note that PPTP can be installed on Windows NT 4.0 workstations.
- V1.4 (April 26, 2002): Bulletin updated to advise availability of Windows NT 4.0 Server, Terminal Server Edition Security Rollup Package.
- V1.5 (June 23, 2003): Updated download links to Windows Update.