Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-013
Windows 2000 Event Viewer Contains Unchecked Buffer
Originally posted: February 26, 2001
Updated: June 23, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Users who use the event viewer in Microsoft® Windows® 2000, especially system administrators.
Impact of vulnerability:
Run code of attacker's choice
System administrators should install patch on all critical servers and consider installing it on all Windows 2000 systems.
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q285156 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (February 26, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (October 04, 2001): Bulletin revised to note that a new version of the patch was released to address a post-SP2 packaging issue, as discussed in Q299549. (Both the old and new versions of the patch protect the machine from the vulnerability in this bulletin.) Registry key data and patch applicability sections have been updated appropriately.
- V1.2 (June 23, 2003): Updated Windows Update download links.