Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-014
Malformed URL can Cause Service Failure in IIS 5.0 and Exchange 2000
Originally posted: March 01, 2001
Updated: June 23, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
System administrators using either Microsoft® IIS 5.0 or Exchange 2000.
Impact of vulnerability:
Denial of service
System administrators should apply the patch to servers running the affected products.
- Microsoft Internet Information Services 5.0
- Microsoft Exchange 2000
- Microsoft Knowledge Base articles Q286818 and Q287678 discuss this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (March 01, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (June 13, 2001): Bulletin revised to note that IIS 5.0 patch is applicable to Windows 2000 Gold and Service Pack 1 and has been included in Windows 2000 Service Pack 2.
- V1.2 (June 23, 2003): Updated Windows Update download links.