Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-016
Malformed WebDAV Request Can Cause IIS to Exhaust CPU Resources
Originally posted: March 08, 2001
Updated: June 23, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
System administrators using Microsoft® Internet Information Services 5.0
Impact of vulnerability:
Denial of service
System administrators using Microsoft® Internet Information Services 5.0 should apply the patch listed below.
- Microsoft Internet Information Services 5.0
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article 291845 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q241520 discusses a workaround for this vulnerability.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (March 08, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V2.0 (March 13, 2001): Bulletin was originally issued with workaround information; revised on this date to reflect availability of a patch.
- V2.1 (April 20, 2001): Bulletin updated to provide information on superseded patch.
- V2.2 (June 23, 2003): Updated Windows Update download links.