Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-020
Incorrect MIME Header Can Cause IE to Execute E-mail Attachment
Originally posted: March 29, 2001
Updated: June 23, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers using Microsoft® Internet Explorer.
Impact of vulnerability:
Run code of attacker's choice.
Customers using IE should install the patch immediately.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5
Note: Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 2 is not affected by this vulnerability.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q290108 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (March 29, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (May 25, 2001): Bulletin revised to note that the patch for this issue has been included in the patch released for MS01-027.
- V1.2 (September 21, 2001): Bulletin updated to discuss need to perform a Full or Typical Install when eliminating this vulnerability via an IE 6 upgrade.
- V1.3 (June 23, 2003): Updated Windows Update download links.