Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-028
RTF document linked to template can run macros without warning
Originally posted: May 21, 2001
Updated: July 24, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers using Microsoft® Word for Windows or Microsoft Word for the Mac
Impact of vulnerability:
Run macros without warning
Customers using affected versions of Word should apply the patch immediately.
- Microsoft Word 97
- Microsoft Word 2000
- Microsoft Word 98 (J)
- Microsoft Word 98 for the Mac
- Microsoft Word 2001 for the Mac
Note: Microsoft Word 2002 is not affected by this vulnerability.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q288266 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (May 21, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (June 6, 2001): Update Mac patch availability.
- V1.2 (February 28, 2003): Updated link to Word98 Macro Download
- V1.3 (June 23, 2003): Updated Windows Update download links.
- V1.4 (July 24, 2003): Updated Mac download links.