Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-030
Incorrect Attachment Handling in Exchange OWA Can Execute Script
Originally posted: June 06, 2001
Updated: June 13, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
System administrators who have deployed Outlook Web Access using Microsoft® Exchange 5.5 Server or Exchange 2000 Server.
Impact of vulnerability:
Run code of attacker's choice.
Customers with OWA implementations should install the patch immediately.
- Microsoft Exchange 5.5 Server Outlook Web Access
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Outlook Web Access
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q299535 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (June 06, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V2.0 (June 08, 2001): Bulletin updated to advise customers that Exchange 5.5 is also affected by the vulnerability and that the version of the Exchange 2000 patch released on June 06, 2001, contained a regression error that has been corrected.
- V3.0 (June 13, 2001): Bulletin updated to advise customers that the updated version of the Exchange 2000 patch released on June 08, 2001, contained outdated files that has been corrected.
- V3.1 (June 13, 2003): Updated download links to Windows Update.