Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-034
Malformed Word Document Could Enable Macro to Run Automatically
Originally posted: June 21, 2001
Updated: July 24, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers using Microsoft® Word.
Impact of vulnerability:
Run macros without warning.
Customers using affected versions of Word should apply the patch immediately.
- Microsoft Word 2002
- Microsoft Word 2000
- Microsoft Word 97
- Microsoft Word 98 (J)
- Microsoft Word 2001 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Word 98 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q302294 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (June 21, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (June 25, 2001): Bulletin updated to clarify that the patches provided here are identical to those in MS01-028, except for the case of Word 2002.
- V1.2 (February 28, 2003): Updated link to Word98 Macro Download.
- V1.3 (June 13, 2003): Updated download links to Windows Update.
- V1.4 (July 24, 2003): Updated Mac download links.