Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-050
Malformed Excel or PowerPoint Document Can Bypass Macro Security
Originally posted: October 04, 2001
Updated: July 24, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers using Microsoft® Excel or PowerPoint for Windows® or Macintosh®
Impact of vulnerability:
Run code of attacker's choice.
Customers using affected versions of Excel and/or PowerPoint should apply the patch immediately.
Microsoft Excel 2000 for Windows
- Microsoft Excel 2002 for Windows
- Microsoft Excel 98 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Excel 2001 for Macintosh
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 for Windows
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 for Windows
- Microsoft PowerPoint 98 for Macintosh
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2001 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Knowledge Base articles Q306603, Q306604, Q306605, Q306606 discuss href="http://support.microsoft.com/directory/question.asp?sd=gn&fr=0">Microsoft these issues and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from . There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (October 04, 2001): Bulletin Created
- V1.1 (October 09, 2001): Updated to correct verification information and localization information.
- V1.2 (June 13, 2003): Updated download links to Windows Update.
- V1.3 (July 24, 2003): Updated Mac download links