Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-054
Invalid Universal Plug and Play Request can Disrupt System Operation
Originally posted: November 01, 2001
Updated: June 13, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers using Microsoft® Windows® ME or XP, or who have installed the Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing client on Windows 98 or 98SE.
Impact of vulnerability:
Denial of service
Maximum Severity Rating:
Windows XP customers should apply the Critical Update listed below in Patch Availability, as it contains fixes for a number of issues, including this one. Customers using Windows 98, 98SE or ME should apply the patch if the Universal Plug and Play service is installed and running.
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows 98SE
- Microsoft Windows ME
- Microsoft Windows XP
Note: Windows 98 and 98SE are only affected if the Internet Connection Sharing that ships with Windows XP has been installed on the machine.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q311311, and Q309521 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (November 01, 2001): Bulletin Created.
- V2.0 (November 08,2001): Bulletin updated to reflect removal of WindowsME patch after a problem was found with it.
- V2.5 (November 13, 2001): Bulletin updated to reflect new patch for WindowsME.
- V2.6 (October 14, 2002): Bulletin updated with new URL in acknowledgements.
- V2.7 (June 13, 2003): Updated download links to Windows Update.