Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-012
Malformed Data Transfer Request can Cause Windows SMTP Service to Fail
Originally posted: February 27, 2002
Updated: May 09, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers using Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Server and Professional, Windows XP Professional and Exchange Server 2000
Impact of vulnerability:
Denial of Service
Maximum Severity Rating:
Customers who need the Windows 2000 SMTP services should apply the patch; all others should disable the SMTP service.
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Exchange 2000
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q313450 discusses this issue and is currently available. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (February 27, 2002): Bulletin Created.
- V2.0 (March 12, 2002): Updated to reflect that the Windows 2000 patch for MS02-011 and MS02-012 are the same.
- V2.1 (May 09, 2003): Updated download links to Windows Update.