Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-017
Unchecked buffer in the Multiple UNC Provider Could Enable Code Execution (Q311967)
Originally posted: April 04, 2002
Updated: February 28, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers using Microsoft® Windows NT®, Windows® 2000 and Windows XP
Impact of vulnerability:
Local privilege elevation and run code of attacker's choice.
Maximum Severity Rating:
Administrators should consider applying the patch to machines that allow unprivileged users to log onto them interactively such as workstations and Terminal Servers.
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server, Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4 Terminal Server Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows XP Home
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q311967 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (April 04, 2002): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (April 16, 2002): Bulletin updated to clarify that Windows XP Home Edition is also affected.
- V1.2 (February 28. 2003): Updated download links in Additional Information Section