Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-053
Buffer Overrun in SmartHTML Interpreter Could Allow Code Execution (Q324096)
Originally posted: September 25, 2002
Who should read this bulletin:
Web site administrators using Microsoft® FrontPage Server Extensions
Impact of vulnerability:
Buffer overrun or denial of service
Maximum Severity Rating:
Web site administrators should apply the patch or ensure that the SmartHTML Interpreter is not available on the server.
- Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions 2000
- Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions 2002
- Microsoft Windows 2000 (shipped FPSE 2000)
- Microsoft Windows XP (shipped FPSE 2000)
- Microsoft SharePoint Team Services 2002
Microsoft thanks Maninder Bharadwaj of Digital Defense Services part of Digital GlobalSoft Ltd. for reporting this issue to us and working with us to protect customers.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q324096 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (September 25, 2002): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (September 26, 2002): Bulletin updated to add URL's for Windows XP and Windows 2000 patches on the Microsoft Download Center as well as to include information for users of SharePoint Team Services 2002.