Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-071
Flaw in Windows WM_TIMER Message Handling Could Enable Privilege Elevation (328310)
Originally posted: December 11, 2002
Updated: April 30th, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers using Microsoft® Windows® NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.
Impact of vulnerability:
Maximum Severity Rating:
Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows XP
End User Bulletin: An end user version of this bulletin is available at: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/bulletins/default.mspx.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article 328310 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (December 11, 2002): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (December 17, 2002): Updated information in Additional information section.
- V1.2 (February 03, 2003): Subsequent to the release of this bulletin it was determined that the patch for Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 machines introduced an error that may, under certain configurations, cause NT 4.0 to fail. The bulletin has been updated to remove the download links for the NT 4.0 patch and will be revised again once the updated package is available.
- V2.0 (February 07, 2003): Microsoft has investigated this issue and is releasing an updated patch for Windows NT 4.0. The bulletin has been modified to include the new download links for the revised NT 4.0 patch.
- V2.1 (February 28, 2003): Updating bulletin to clarify that the February 7th republishing did not affect NT 4.0 TSE, except for the Japanese Language. Customers running the Japanese version of NT 4.0 TSE should apply the updated fix.
- V3.0 (April 30, 2003): Updated bulletin to refer to updated patch for Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition.