Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-001
Unchecked Buffer in Locator Service Could Lead to Code Execution (810833)
Originally posted: January 22, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers using Microsoft® Windows® NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.
Impact of vulnerability:
Run code of the attacker's choice
Maximum Severity Rating:
Customers running Windows NT 4.0 server or Windows 2000 server should apply the patch immediately. Customers who are running Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, Windows 2000 workstation, and Windows XP should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows XP
End User Bulletin:
An end user version of this bulletin is available at: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/bulletins/default.mspx
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article 810833 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (January 22, 2003): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (October 28, 2003): Updated bulletin to reflect recommendation for patching member servers