Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-013
Buffer Overrun in Windows Kernel Message Handling could Lead to Elevated Privileges (811493)
Originally posted: April 16, 2003
Updated: August 25, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Administrators of Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0, Windows® 2000 and Windows® XP systems.
Impact of vulnerability:
Local Elevation of Privilege
Maximum Severity Rating:
Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server, Terminal Server Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows XP
Non Affected Software:
- Windows Server 2003
End User Bulletin:
An end user version of this bulletin is available at: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/bulletins/default.mspx.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article 811493 discusses this issue. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 April 16, 2003: Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 April 17, 2003: Included correct patch supercedence information for Windows 2000.
- V1.2 April 23, 2003: Added information regarding performance related issues with Windows XP SP1 patch
- V1.3 April 23, 2003: Added link to KB article that discusses performance related issues with Windows XP SP1 patch
- V2.0 May 28, 2003: Re-issued to advise of availability of revised Windows XP SP1 patch to correct performance issues
- V2.1 August 25, 2003: Corrected duplicate version numbers