Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-017
Flaw in Windows Media Player Skins Downloading could allow Code Execution (817787)
Originally posted: May 7, 2003
Updated: May 9, 2003
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers running Windows Media Player 7.1 and Windows Media Player for Windows XP (Version 8.0)
Impact of vulnerability:
Arbitrary code execution
Maximum Severity Rating:
Customers running Windows Media Player 7.1 and Windows Media Player for Windows XP (Version 8) should apply the patch.
- Microsoft Windows Media Player 7.1
- Microsoft Windows Media Player for Windows XP (Version 8.0)
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article 817787 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 May 07, 2003 Bulletin Created.
- V1.2 May 09, 2003 Bulletin updated to clarify tested versions included Media Player 6.4, and specify that it is not affected by this vulnerability.