Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-025
Flaw in Windows Message Handling through Utility Manager Could Enable Privilege Elevation (822679)
Originally posted: July 9, 2003
Updated: April 13, 2004
Who should read this bulletin:
Customers using Microsoft® Windows® 2000
Impact of vulnerability:
Maximum Severity Rating:
Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.
End User Bulletin:
An end user version of this bulletin is available at:
- Microsoft Windows 2000
Not Affected Software:
- Microsoft Windows Me
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Services Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article 822679 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (July 9, 2003): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 July 10, 2003: Corrected patch verification registry keys.
- V1.2 April 13, 2004: Added FAQ to inform customers about the availability of a security update for Windows 2000 Service Pack 2.