Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-029
Flaw in Windows Function Could Allow Denial of Service (823803)
Originally posted: July 23, 2003
Updated: May 12, 2004
Who should read this bulletin:
Systems administrators running Microsoft® Windows® NT 4.0 Server
Impact of vulnerability:
Denial of service
Maximum Severity Rating:
Administrators of Windows NT 4.0 servers should consider applying the security patch.
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server Edition
Not Affected Software:
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003
End User Bulletin: An end user version of this bulletin is available at:
- Microsoft Knowledge Base article 823803 discusses this issue and will be available approximately 24 hours after the release of this bulletin. Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Online Support web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
Security Resources: The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (July 23, 2003): Bulletin Created.
- V1.1 (July 29, 2003): Updated to provide details of problem when patch is installed on systems running RAS Service.
- V2.0 (August 13, 2003): Updated to reflect the release of updated patches to correct problems on computers running RAS.
- V2.1 (May 12, 2004): Bulletin updated to inform customers about the availability of a security update for Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Service Pack 6a.