Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-049
Buffer Overrun in the Workstation Service Could Allow Code Execution (828749)
Issued: November 11, 2003
Updated: November 19, 2003
Version Number: 1.2
Who Should Read This Document:
Customers using Microsoft® Windows®
Impact of Vulnerability:
Remote Code Execution
Maximum Severity Rating:
Systems administrators should apply the patch immediately.
Security Update Replacement:
Tested Software and Security Update Download Locations:
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Service Pack 3, Service Pack 4 - Download the update
- Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 - Download the update from MS03-043 (828035)
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition - Download the update from MS03-043 (828035)
Note: There is no Windows XP version of the MS03-049 security update. The Windows XP security updates that released as part of Security Bulletin MS03-043 (828035) include the updated file that helps protect from this vulnerability. The Windows XP download links in this bulletin link to the Windows XP MS03-043 security update. If you have applied the Windows XP security updates for MS03-043 (828035) you do not have to reapply the update to be protected against the vulnerability described in this bulletin. However, the Windows 2000 security update that is released as part of this security bulletin contains updated files that were not part of the MS03-043 (828035) security bulletin. Customers have to apply this Windows 2000 security update even if they applied the Windows 2000 security updates for MS03-043 (828035). Future updates to the MS03-043 Windows XP security update may be released, they will also contain the necessary files to be protected against this vulnerability.
Non Affected Software
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Service Pack 6a
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Service Pack 6a
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition, Service Pack 6
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 64-Bit Edition
The software listed above has been tested to determine if the versions are affected. Other versions are no longer supported, and may or may not be affected.
Microsoft thanks the following for working with us to protect customers:
- eEye Digital Security for reporting the issue in MS03-049.
Obtaining other security updates:
Updates for other security issues are available from the following locations:
- Security updates are available from the Microsoft Download Center, and can be most easily found by doing a keyword search for "security_patch".
- Updates for consumer platforms are available from the Windows Update web site
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls associated with security patches.
- International customers can get support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support associated with security updates. Information on how to contact Microsoft support is available at http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
- The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
- Microsoft Software Update Services: http://www.microsoft.com/sus/
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) details: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx. Please see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306460 for list of security updates that have detection limitations with MBSA tool.
- Windows Update Catalog: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323166
- Windows Update: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
- Office Update: http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/
Software Update Services (SUS):
Microsoft Software Update Services (SUS) enables administrators to quickly and reliably deploy the latest critical updates and security updates to Windows® 2000 and Windows Server™ 2003-based servers, as well as to desktop computers running Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional.
For information about how to deploy this security patch with Software Update Services, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Systems Management Server (SMS):
Systems Management Server can provide assistance deploying this security update. For information about Systems Management Server visit the SMS Web Site. SMS also provides several additional tools to assist administrators in the deployment of security updates such as the SMS 2.0 Software Update Services Feature Pack and the SMS 2.0 Administration Feature Pack. The SMS 2.0 Software Update Services Feature Pack utilizes the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and the Microsoft Office Detection Tool to provide broad support for security bulletin remediation. Some software updates may require administrative rights following a restart of the computer.
Note: The inventory capabilities of the SMS 2.0 Software Update Services Feature Pack may be used for targeting updates to specific computers, and the SMS 2.0 Administration Feature Pack's Elevated Rights Deployment Tool can be used for installation. This provides optimal deployment for updates that require explicit targeting using Systems Management Server and administrative rights after the computer has been restarted.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (November 11, 2003): Bulletin published
- V1.1 November 11, 2003: Updated the File Manifest and Restart Requirement sections for Windows 2000.
- V1.2 November 19, 2003: Updated Information Relating to the Windows XP Security Update.