Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-002
Vulnerability in Exchange Server 2003 Could Lead to Privilege Escalation (832759)
Issued: January 13, 2004
Who should read this document:
System administrators who have servers that are running Microsoft® Outlook® Web Access for Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
Impact of vulnerability:
Elevation of Privilege
Maximum Severity Rating:
System administrators should install this security update on all front-end servers that are running Outlook Web Access for Exchange Server 2003. Microsoft also recommends installing this security update on all other Exchange 2003 servers so that they will be protected if they are later designated as front end servers.
Security Update Replacement:
Apply the update when a disruption in OWA and Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) mail flow and other Internet Information Services (IIS) applications is acceptable.
Tested Software and Security Update Download Locations:
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 - Download the Update
Non Affected Software:
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5
The software listed above has been tested to determine if the versions are affected. Other versions either no longer include security patch support or may not be affected. Please review the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Web site to determine the support lifecycle for your product and version.
Updates for other security issues are available from the following locations:
- Security updates are available from the Microsoft Download Center, and can be most easily found by doing a keyword search for "security_patch".
- Updates for consumer platforms are available from the WindowsUpdate Web site.
- Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY for customers in the U.S. and Canada. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
- International customers can get support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support associated with security updates. Information on how to contact Microsoft support is available at the International Support Web Site.
- The Microsoft TechNet Security Web Site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
- Microsoft Software Update Services
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA): Please view Knowledge Base Article 306460 for list of security updates that have detection limitations with the MBSA tool.
- Windows Update
- Windows Update Catalog: Please view Knowledge Base Article 323166 for more information on the Windows Update Catalog.
- Office Update
Systems Management Server (SMS):
Systems Management Server can provide assistance deploying this security update. For information about Systems Management Server visit the SMS Web Site.
Note: This security update cannot be detected by MBSA 1.1.1. Subsequently SMS 2.0 Software Update Services Feature Pack and the SMS 2.0 Administration Feature Pack's Elevated Rights Deployment Tool can also not be used for this security update.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 January 13, 2004: Bulletin published
- V1.1 January 14, 2004: Corrected information regarding MBSA and the SMS 2.0 Software Update Services Feature Pack.